By Arie Egozi
Tel Aviv. Israeli company BlueBird Aero Systems has unveiled the upgraded version of its ThunderB VTOL UAV. According to the company this improved version can perform more complex missions.
Itai Toren, the company’s VP business development and sales told Raksha Anirveda that the upgraded version has better aerodynamic qualities that makes the systems more efficient .”The new version is capable of carrying a 8 kg payload, which enables to fit it with a greater variety of sensors”. MTOW of the new version is 35 kg. Toren said that the new version of the ThunderB VTOL UAV has been already supplied to some customers.
The ThunderB-VTOL, a hybrid fixed wing UAV, offers high operational flexibility and combine the advantages of a fixed wing UAV with the benefits of a multi-copter: Fixed wing advantages – Extended endurance, high speed operation in harsh environments, large area coverage and ability to glide to safe landing. Multi-copter advantages – Ability to take off and land in small limited areas (such as on ships in mid-sea for maritime operations, small forest clearings, urban rooftops, etc.) and soft and accurate landing. The ThunderB-VTOL delivers superior operational capabilities:
- VTOL – Pin-point vertical take-off & landing in confined areas anywhere, anytime
- Exceptional Performance – Endurance of 12 hours, communication range of up to 150 Km with a digital link and tracking antenna
- Mission Flexibility – Variety of high-performance sensors, communications & software algorithms for diverse missions
- Covert Operation – Low acoustic, visual, thermal and radar signatures
- GPS Denied Environment – Multi-layer protection against GPS Jamming for mission continuity in GPS denied environment 6. Advanced Datalinks – Mission continuity even in COMJAM environment – integrated 3 communication links
- Robust System – Optimal operation in severe weather & extreme terrain
- Easy to Operate– Rapid deployment and turnaround time, small crew of two, no need for prepared area, Intuitive, mission oriented GCS
- High Reliability – Multiple system redundancies and advance field-proven avionics
- Low LCC– Low acquisition and maintenance costs.
-The writer is an International Roving Correspondent of the publication. Views expressed are personal and do not necessarily reflect the views of Raksha Anirveda